Wednesday, March 21, 2012

10 tips to get the most out of your massage!


Many of you came to me with very simple concerns regarding simple measures you can take to get the most out of your session.  I spent some time to put together some common concerns and answers that many of you have as well as some observations I have made myself over the past 6 years in the field of Massage Therapy.



10 tips to get the most out of a massage

A professional massage may seem like a waste of money to many -- until you've had one. It provides health benefits. And as an added bonus, a massage can provide a real spiritual lift, as well.

But how do you get the most out of a massage when you're lying there worrying about spending money, work, family, etc? Here's my advice:


1. Drink Water

Most therapists will remind you to flush toxins after a massage, but it's equally important to hydrate before climbing on the table. That's because the pressure from your therapist's hands pushes lactic acid out of your muscle tissue and into your bloodstream, where it circulates throughout your body. Without water, your blood flow is sluggish and stagnated and may not process these toxins as readily as hydrated, less viscous fluids.

2. Talk to Your Massage Therapist

Tell me your concerns, needs and expectations before you start. Let me know about problem areas, like a bad back, trick knee or the knotted shoulders caused by computer work, so I can either avoid these areas or pay special attention, as appropriate. Be sure to express your environmental preferences, as well. Let me know how you like the music, room temperature, etc. You don't want the ambiance jarring you out of your cozy zone. If you're an aromatherapy fan and have a specific preference, bring a sample with you!  I am more then happy to comply!

3. Don't Be Bashful

In general, the less you wear, the fewer obstacles to a good massage. I am highly trained in sheet-draping techniques that will ensure your modesty is protected at all times.  Draping techniques are the first skill learned and is absolutely robotic after months, much less years as a therapist. So as a professional, I recommend removing as much clothing as possible (or comfortable), slide under the sheets, and don't waste energy worrying about what I will think of your body.  Each client is different, and a great therapist zones in on the bone and musculature that is lying under the skin and not worried about the skin, figure, or color.  My job is to make you feel better when you leave and if you are worried about your self image it creates unnecessary tension.

4. Stop Thinking

This may be the hardest part of relaxing into a massage. I find yogic rhythmic breathing prepares my body and brain. I perform deep breathing exercises, inhaling from the stomach, upwards through the chest cavity and mentally swirling the breath through my brain when I recieve a massage. On the inhale I gather all my thoughts, tensions and negativity into a gray smoke and expel it out of my body. Then I reverse the process, filling my body with pure air. Five cycles usually do it, then I repeat this process whenever niggling thoughts stop me from enjoying the massage.  This may be a little "silly" for many of you, but deep breathing exercises always benefit the mind and body.

5. Relax Your Body

Don't engage your muscles to help mw maneuver a part of your body. This doesn't really help as it just tenses your muscles and makes my work harder.  I may RARELY ask for assistance in moving.

6. Breathe Through the Pain

Don't hold your breath when I begin working on a muscular knot, or the muscle will continue to hold its tension. Instead, start narrowing your focus to a deep, rhythmic breathing pattern. Try to visualize tension leaving your body on the exhale and allow your body to relax a little more with each breath.

7. Talk -- Listen to Your Body

Sometimes a verbal release is just as therapeutic as a muscle relax, but don't forget to also concentrate on your body. Animated conversation makes your body tense up, so make sure the conversation doesn't involve hand gestures or dance moves :-)  Let me know when the pressure is too soft or hard; if you're feeling chilly; or if you'd like me to work more on a specific area.

8. Recover Slowly

Don't harsh your mellow by jumping off the table after I have left the room. Take a minute to glory in your newly relaxed body. Slowly open your eyes and appreciate the room's ambiance. Roll slowly onto your dominant side, push gently up to a seated position with one arm, and sit on the edge of the massage table for a few moments and collect any immediate thoughts of areas that still have tension and be sure to let me know these areas when you leave so I can note them for next time or encourage some at home exercises/techniques.

9. Drink Even More Water

Flush those nasty toxins out of your system with plenty of water. Otherwise, you could end up with sore muscles and nausea -- making the massage a complete waste of time and money. While there's no magic number of ounces you should drink, the more water you consume the better you'll feel.  I recommend a half ounce for every pound of body weight throughout the day.  If it helps, I drink 1.5liters of water after every massage I recieve.

10. Take It Easy

Help your body and mind hold on to the benefits of the massage as long as possible. Return to the breathing exercises when you begin tensing up throughout the day, or when your brain returns to its natural fretting routines. At the end of the day, treat yourself to a relaxing evening. Eat a light dinner. Soak in a warm bath with scented salts or aromatherapy oils, then curl up in bed for a deep, restorative sleep. <-just an idea :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment